My First Dive (Samal Island)

I have been intrigued by scuba diving for a long time but didn't have an open door to make a step towards it. I've always been a fan of the world under and fascinated w/ the whole new universe that sea creatures are having.

But, as they say, anything is possible! A day to visit the world under "UP CLOSE & PERSONAL" happened for real!
Orientation by Sir Ivan
I expected to have a better diving chance on our future travel to Coron, Palawan. But what do you know??? Ma'am Beth, the owner of the boarding house where my father and brothers used to stay while in Manila, visited Davao and stayed in our humble home for a few days. Who happens to be an avid fan of scuba diving and wanted to experience diving in Samal Island to add to her list. Well, as expected, mom won't join us since she's afraid of activities like that. So, despite our persistent request to Mom and Papo to join, but failed, still with all excitement, Labsy & I, coordinated w/ a few diving centers to look for someone who can facilitate our needs but keeping it within the budget.

The gear
After a few inquiries from Wind and Wave Davao, Davao Scuba Center & Carabao Dive Center, we chose the latter. It was only Carabao Dive Center that suits the need, budget & schedule for a short notice dive, the following day.

March 11, 2012, the much awaited day came and despite being a little scared, we prepared for a weekend activity that we never thought would happen-scuba diving.

We were instructed to meet the group at the Center's office at 7:30AM. The dive will be a join-in group dive so we were expecting some company. There were quite a number of divers but only 8 of us who were first timers.

Saying "OK"
The boat trip started at Sta. Ana Wharf. It was about a 45-min trip to our dive site, Angel's Cove in Talikud Island, Samal. While on our way there, one of the Dive Masters gave instructions/orientations to the beginners or the Intro Divers.

There were 9 of us who signed up for intro diving although only 8 of us were first timers. For Ate Beth, it was her 25th I think. But she joined us anyway.

After the orientation, we were grouped into 3. So we had 3 batch for intro diving. We, (me, Labsy & Ate Beth) were the first batch. All three of us had assigned dive master so we were guided all throughout the 30-minute-dive. I was the first one to drop, so I was suited first. I was a bit scared, too excited and kinda serious as I felt the heaviness of the tank seemed to grow on my back.

Nice drop
Well, when it was time to drop, it's time to get into the deep and so I did. My assigned Dive Master was Sir Ivan, who waited for me and took me after the drop from the boat. As I dropped, I felt the heavy tank, the disturbing waves and perhaps my mask wasn't tight enough, that somehow made me uncomfortable as the water went inside my mask and so I dropped my regulator. Which then made me do a little move or twist, that gave me a little pain at the lower left portion of my back. It was tolerable though so when Sir Ivan got me, we adjusted my mask and prep me before we went down 30 ft below sea level.


As we went down, my mask was perhaps not properly tightened so there were often times I needed to take the water out. Good thing I listened during the orientation on the "how tos" part during in trouble. So besides the sometimes little annoying water inside my mask, everything went well and I had the best time enjoying the view and gently touching some corals and fishes for real. Another one great adventure experience to add to my "nice-to-do-again" list. :)

After our time is up, we went up and conquer the irritating waves as it played with us while we were waiting to be picked up by our boat ride. When our time is over, the next 2 batches were preparing for their time to dive in as we changed location.

Snorkeling at Marissa Reef
From Angel's Cove, we went to Marissa Reef, which is near the known resort in Samal, The Pearl Farm Beach Resort. The next 2 batches and the other certified divers had their first and second dive there respectively. While they were having a great time down there, we, (me, Labsy, Ate Beth, Helen & Neneng) were having a grand time above them snorkeling and feasting on the wonderful view of different corals, wandering and playing fishes, and the dancing light like sun rays in the ocean bed that were breathtakingly fascinating and perfectly amazing.

After all divers and snorkelers went back into the boat, we headed back to Sta. Ana Wharf and to the Carabao Dive Center Office to wait for a CD copy of our underwater pictures and to thank everyone in the center for a job very well done.

Diving at Angel's Cove
In every adventure, there are always new discoveries, in the place we're into or ourselves, or new friends to know, or new life experience to cherish in our lifetime. We just need to keep that faith in God that we can conquer fear, and enjoy the freedom of choice and the unending charade of the wonders of the world to be thankful and grateful for. So I say, "Tara let's!"...

'Til next adventure!


BTW, for the contact and cost info, please find them below...


Comments

  1. Nice adventure Ji, I am glad you conquered it. I heard Palawan has a nice spot for scuba too.. but I am afraid of scuba diving, lost for me..hhehhehehe. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dith, don't be afraid. The guides were great. They never left us from start to finish... You can do it! And yes hopefully I could dive in Palawan too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! what a great experience for you Ji, just like with adith i'm afraid of scuba diving aside from the water.I'm scared of course the deepest of the sea and the sea creatures i'm really scared of it. I don't have the courage to conquer my fear,yet got envy those people who can do this still so thankful and happy co'z they are the bridge to see the beauty under the sea water.For you Ji, two thumbs up for this!!!Congrats and Cheers!!..^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks cris! I was a bit hesitant at first but excitement engulfed, and then it became too much to resist... hehehe... it was indeed a new milestone... thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. hi i keep reading this over and over ;) as scuba diving is on my bucket list next year,, i was thnking carabao diver could help me,,do thy take care thier client very well? my frst time and i need trusted ones ;)
    happy holiday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! sorry for this very late reply. their guides were patient and kind. each of us had our own guide so we were confident they had us covered

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

2013: Laoag - Pagudpud - Vigan - Sagada - Banaue Escapade in 1 (one)Week

Tarp designs...